Join our international faculty panel to learn the latest in research and clinical care for infants with Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy who are undergoing Therapeutic Hypothermia.
NETWORK with other cooling centers around the globe
SHARE best practices and quality improvement projects
FOCUS on the neonatal brain
➤ Bringing the international experts in cooling right to you.
➤ No travel, no conference rooms, no scheduling conflicts.
➤ The program is scientific, evidence based, and practical.
➤ We do the training, so you can focus on the implementation.
➤ The training will be available 24/7 so all shifts can access it.
Kathi Salley-Randall RN, MSN, CNS, NNP-BC
With an already busy training schedule and lack of open classrooms, I started getting requests from NICU’s all over California to help offer courses to their staff!!
To help ease the demand I created the Brain Cooling Course!
GET STARTED ON YOUR 2020 EDUCATIONAL PLAN & SAVE TIME AND MONEY!
You can get your entire team trained quickly by enrolling in this online course:
- Online Resources & Team Training
- International Faculty
- Online, On-Demand Sessions
- Designed for Individuals or Groups
- Staff Training and Competency Checklists
With a collection of a dozen international expert neonatal clinicians, such as neonatal nurses, NICU educators, NNP’s, Therapists, Neonatologists, and Neurologists, with more than 200 years of combined experience in cooling infants with HIE – You’ll hear topics that range from skin care to neuro-imaging.
TEAM TRAINING & COMPETIENCY
Give your entire team access to the course to learn! With 24-hour access, 7-Days a week, you will create consistent education with no travel or scheduling issues!
CE CREDIT & REFUND POLICY
This course is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses, Provider Number 15417, for up to 12.8 contact hours.
*Due to the digital nature of this course, there are no refunds.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up your NICU team
BACKGROUND & ASSESSMENT
- Describe the two-phase pathophysiology of HIE and how therapeutic hypothermia impacts the injury
- List at least two other neonatal conditions that might mimic HIE during the first day of life
- Discuss the evidence for the current cooling therapy and two ongoing research projects to direct future practice
- List the eligibility criteria for therapeutic hypothermia in your NICU in terms of: infant characteristics, timing of intervention and contraindications
MONITORING & IMAGING
- Identify two expected aEEG patterns during HIE and describe the expected evolution during the first days of life
- Describe the significance of high and low cerebral NIRS values during therapeutic hypothermia
- Discuss the rationale for the type and timing of neuro-imaging for infants with HIE
- Describe the implementation process for non-sedated MRI
CARING DURING COOLING
- Discuss the risk for, and management of, at least one potential clinical complication encountered during the three phases of therapeutic hypothermia: inducation, maintenance and rewarming.
- Recognize the clinical presentation of neonatal seizures and outline the traditional pharmacologic management
- Describe one or more benefits of using a servo-controlled temperature regulatory device
- Discuss the pros and cons of: sedation, feeding, and infant holding during cooling
- Discuss the role of OT, PT, and developmental specialists for infant with HIE - during cooling and beyond
- List three strategies to improve communication with parents whose infants are undergoing cooling
- Name 2 common side effects seen during therapeutic hypothermia
- Describe two nursing interventions unique to the infant undergoing therapeutic hypothermia
FOLLOW UP & QUALITY
- Describe at least one common feeding-related concern seen in infants with HIE
- List at least three quality care metrics which could be measured for your hypothermia program
- Outline two strategies to improve communication with parents and families whose infants are undergoing cooling in your NICU
- Describe the existing evidence for offering minimal enteral feeding during therapeutic hypothermia
- List at least one potential pathway of neuro-protection related to offering feedings during cooling
- List two patient populations who might benefit from a MRI before discharge from the NICU
- Describe at least one way to improve your NICU's success with providing sedation-free MRI
- Outline two safety precautions and emergency preparations when taking an infant to off-unit MRI
- Name at least two tools to use to predict neuro-developmental outcome in infants with HIE
Classroom Licenses available!
Would you like to pay for your entire NICU team? Save with our group classroom license.
Contact us to learn more!
Welcome Download BCC Roadmap Downloadable Flyer to Share NCC Codes and Objectives
Sign up here to access past recordings REMINDER - Synapse Community Call - Wed, March 3rd @ 8:00am PST
▶🎬 - RECORDING - Eligibility Criteria for Cooling & Bedside Exam ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Neonatal Asphyxia Improving Outcomes ✔️🔖 Evaluation & CE Certificate - Background & Assessment
▶🎬 - RECORDING - Neonatal aEEG and EEG Monitoring ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Neuroimaging in HIE ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Brain Cooling and NIRS Monitoring ▶🎬 - RECORDING - The Use of aEEG for Infants with HIE ✔️🔖 Evaluation & CE Certificate - Monitoring & Imaging
▶🎬 - RECORDING - Care Map for HIE/Cooling ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Bedside Care of the Cooling Infant ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Diagnosis & Management of Neonatal Seizures ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Skin Issues Related to Therapeutic Hypothermia and Cerebral Monitoring ✔️🔖 Evaluation & CE Certificate - Caring During Cooling
▶🎬 - RECORDING - The Role of Neonatal Therapy and HIE ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Unmet Parent Expectations, Communication Challenges, and Traumatic and Healing Experiences Surrounding Neonatal Therapeutic Hypothermia ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Quality Metrics for a Therapeutic Hypothermia Program ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Implementation Science Methodology to Improve Consistency & Optimize Treatment for Newborns with HIE ✔️🔖 Evaluation & CE Certificate - Follow Up & Quality
▶🎬 - RECORDING - MRI Team Prep and Patient Care ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Feeding Controversies During Cooling - Dr Michael Weiss ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Beyond the NICU - Linda de Vries ▶🎬 - RECORDING - Alfonso Vargas, MD // Challenges of Caring for the "Maybe Baby" with Mild HIE ✔️🔖 Evaluation & CE Certificate - Bonus Lectures
Direct Links to Evaluations
BOOK TO ORDER//Beyond the NICU (Dr. Linda de Vries) The ONE Conference 2020 Recording SPECIAL OFFER// aEEG Mastery Course & FREE Q&A's!
How to Create a Cooling Program How to Create a Transport Cooling Program Understanding the CA CCS Regulations on Neonatal Cooling Programs How to Create an aEEG Program